Better Energy Homes Scheme Grants
Avail of the Better Energy Homes Scheme
If you own a home built before 2006, chances are you can avail of cash grants to help reduce the cost of new insulation and other energy efficiency upgrades, like boilers and heating controls. Offered by SEAI, these energy efficiency grants are paid directly to the homeowner after the measures have been installed. If you choose to install three or four measures in your home you may also be eligible for a bonus grant amount.
The Better Energy Homes Scheme is not means-tested and is available to anyone in Ireland who owns a home built before 2006. Learn more about the scheme requirements and included measures below.
- Insulation Upgrades
- Heating Control Upgrades
- Solar PV
- Building Energy Rating
- Bonus Grants
- Electric Ireland Incentive
There are a number of insulation upgrades included under the Better Energy Homes Scheme, including:
- Attic insulation – €400 grant
- Cavity wall insulation – €400 grant
- Internal wall dry lining
- Apartment (any) or Mid Terrace House – €1,600 grant amount
- Semi-Detached or End of Terrace – €2,200 grant amount
- Detached House – €2,400 grant amount
- External wall insulation
- Apartment (any) or Mid Terrace House – €2,750 grant amount
- Semi-Detached or End of Terrace – €4,500 grant amount
- Detached House – €6,000 grant amount
SEAI will provide grants up to the amount listed for each measure. Multiple measures can be combined and is encouraged.
SEAI will provide grants for the upgrade of heating controls, including:
- Heating control upgrade – €700 grant amount
- Solar water heating system installation – €1,200 grant amount
- Air to water heat pump – €3,500
- Ground source to water heat pump – €3,500
- Exhaust air to water heat pump – €3,500
- Water to water heat pump – €3,500
- Air to air heat pump – €600
Heating control upgrades can be combined with other measures, like insulation. Heat pumps are available for homes built and occupied before 2011. The home must be “heat-pump ready” (i.e. contain the necessary levels of insulation etc). For more information visit the SEAI website.
SEAI now offers grants for solar photovoltaic panels and battery storage systems:
- Solar PV panels – €700/kWp (up to 4kWp)
- Battery storage system – €1,000 (must be installed on all systems over 2kWp)
Solar PV and battery storage system grants are available for homes built and occupied before 2011.
SEAI requires that all homes upgraded under the Better Energy Homes Scheme to have a Building Energy Rating (BER) performed after the installation of measures. This BER will assign a letter grade to indicate how energy efficient your home is, on a scale from G to A1.
A Building Energy Rating takes multiple factors into consideration, including energy demand for space heating, hot water heating, lighting and ventilation. Other variables, like the number of occupants, are also considered during the calculation. You’ll receive a BER certificate which displays your home’s energy performance along with annual CO2 emissions.
SEAI will provide a €50 grant towards the cost of a Building Energy Rating. You must have a BER before any grants will be paid.
Save more when you install three or four measures in your home. SEAI offers the following bonus grants in addition to the grant amount for each installed measure:
- Install three measures in your home – bonus grant of €300
- Install four measures in your home – bonus grant of an additional €100 (€400 total)
If you’re a current or new Electric Ireland customer you can combined the Better Energy Homes Scheme grants with the discounts offered through the KORE Energy Efficiency Incentive with Electric Ireland. The Electric Ireland Incentive offers discounts applied directly to your gas or electricity bill after new energy efficiency measures are installed. Learn more about the Electric Ireland Incentive.
Request More Information about the Better Energy Homes Scheme
Interested in insulating your home under the Better Energy Homes Scheme? Fill out your details below and we’ll contact you to arrange for an on-site survey and quotation from a KORE Approved contractor. Quotations are provided free of charge and have no obligation.